World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) hosts the annual celebration of World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development on May 21. This celebration is meant to honor global cultures and the essential role of intercultural dialogue, especially in reaching peace and sustainable development.
Most of the world’s significant challenges are rooted in cultural dimensions, and bridging that gap can result in peace, stability, and development.
Celebrating different cultures can also result in living more emotionally, intellectually, morally, and spiritually fulfilling lives. Cultural diversity is the basis for sustainable development, among other global crises.
Understanding, recognizing, and accepting cultural diversity is vital to fostering dialogue among civilians and cultures to reach mutual respect.
Cultural Diversity and Wealth Management
UNESCO created this day to promote dialogue and the development of diverse values, which is our goal every day of the year.
The wealth management industry has a long way to go to adequately reflect the tapestry of our society. Still, firms are working toward offering more DEI opportunities, and we are on the right path.
In the financial services industry, a multicultural work environment means several things, including:
- Recognizing the diversity of cultures
- Having respect for differences
- Valuing what other cultures offer
- Acknowledging the validity of various cultural expressions
- Encouraging diverse groups to contribute and appreciating what they bring
- Empowering others to shed their biases
- Seeking ways to increase DEI goals
- Giving opportunities for career development to people from diverse backgrounds
- Celebrating — not simply tolerating — differences to reach unity
Ways to Celebrate World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development
No matter where you are or your background, you can celebrate World Day for Cultural Diversity.
Here are a few ways to honor other cultures:
- Travel to a new place
- Learn about different cultures via movies, books, music, food, and art
- Support minority-owned businesses
- Stay informed on global news and events
- Connect with someone from another culture
- Continue to respect people of all origins and ethnicities
- Be an ally
Here are a few ways to honor other cultures in the workplace:
- Schedule a potluck and ask each person to bring in food that represents their culture
- Host a fun trivia event dedicated to different cultures
- Hold roundtable discussions on how to grow diversity at your firm
- Hire a DEI expert to come in and present ways to be culturally mindful of others in a professional manner
- Build a company culture event calendar or bulletin board where people can share their holidays or traditions year-round
- Promote diversity education and resource groups to employees
We have hosted numerous events throughout the year to help educate and spread awareness on inclusion in wealth management. Diversitas events give those who are underrepresented in the financial planning profession a better understanding of the great opportunities in the industry and a platform to have thoughtful discussions about how we can build a more diverse tomorrow.
For more information about Diversitas and our upcoming events, click here.