The Key to Creating a Successful and Impactful DEI Policy
CNBC Make It reporter Ashton Jackson recently published an article featuring DEI strategist Ekow Sanni-Thomas. Sanni-Thomas explains the factors that every successful diversity, equity and inclusion policy should have, and insists that the most important and actionable steps to establish diversity in the workplace are setting S.M.A.R.T. goals with the intention of meeting them, and encouraging others to speak up. S.M.A.R.T. goals are:
- Specific: Who is involved and what is being accomplished? Where and when will it happen?
- Measurable: Is the goal trackable? How will it be measured?
- Attainable: Is the goal actually achievable?
- Relevant: Does the goal make sense? Is it relevant to you or your organization?
- Timely: When is the due date for the goal? When will the results be implemented?
Sanni-Thomas emphasizes that the approach needs to be top-down and that each individual should be held accountable to set, work toward, and achieve S.M.A.R.T. goals for the greater good of the organization and the idea of diversity.
In addition to encouraging companies to execute these actionable steps, Sanni-Thomas leverages his anonymous review platform, Inside Voices, as a tool to end workplace discrimination against BIPOC employees. To read the full story, click here. For more information about how to create a diverse organization, check out our recent blog here.